Independent Cycle Touring is written for experienced cyclists who have done many day rides and organized events. Unlike other books in the cycle touring genre, Independent Cycle Touring is skill-focused. While there is one chapter about equipment, most of the focus will be on important skills to learn and apply during a tour. Other cycling books ignore cycling companions. This book describes my method for screening and qualifying suitable ride partners. This book emphasizes useful, practical tips on navigation, and shows you how to use GPS navigation units and maps to maximum advantage before and during your tour. Finally, country guides are provided for every country I have ever visited.
Four rider profiles round out the text, providing experiences and inspiration from cycle tourists who have completed exciting trips.
- Is independent cycle touring for you? What types of people do well on independent tours? Who shouldn't do independent tours? Why tour independently? What alternatives exist?
- Planning your trip. Where to go? When to go? Types of cycle tours. What kind of research do you need to do? How to buy plane tickets for travel with bicycles.
- Preparation. Bike Handling. Seelecting Cycling Companions. Going Solo. Language Skills. Fitness. On The Road Repairs.
- Route Planning and Navigation. Maps. Route Planning. GPS Assisted Navigation.
- On the ground. Your Daily Routine: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Water, Snacks, Accomodations. Reading the weather. Trains. Expedition-style Touring.
- Country guides:
- North America: British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, California, Colorado, New England.
- Europe: Scotland, France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany.
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Equipment check lists
Download Tables and Checklists
from the book.
Reviews and Testimonials
- It is (IMO) expensive, about $40, but I find it well worth the price. I’ve
spent several hours after arriving home reading sections of the book, and I
find it a treasure trove of information. --- Paul Wendt, Western Wheeler (see Full Review)
It’s a book about long bicycle trips, but it can also remind you why traveling is fun in general. There’s stuff in there about how to make your way around an area, figuring out lodging each night. --- Larry Hosken (see Full Review)
Independent Cycle Touring Presentation
In the fall of 2011, I organized a series of talks at REI to help promote Independent Cycle Touring as well as my book. Here are the slides from the presentation:
Paperback: 8x10 Perfect bound format, 148 full color pages.
E-book: 12MB PDF. You must have a Dropbox account in order to download this book!
Please use Google Checkout or Paypal to purchase. All sales are final This book is only available directly from the author. It will on be available on Amazon or in bookstores! California purchasers please use Paypal to buy the digital copies or you will be charged sales tax.
Buy Digital Edition $4.95:
Buy Paperback $25.16:
Piaw Na has been cycle touring since 1993. He has led independent
trips in his home state of California, and led small groups to many
foreign destinations including Scotland, Italy, Austria, France, and
Japan. He has participated in organized tours and self-organized trips
in New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, and Colorado. He has
at Google multiple times, and is a League Cycling